What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through web pages. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of numerous services of the information society. Among others, they allow a web page to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or their equipment and, depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on who is the entity that manages the domain from where the cookies are sent and treats the data obtained, two types can be distinguished:
- Own cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the publisher himself, but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the period of time that they remain stored in the client’s browser, which may be:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only of interest for the provision of the service requested by the user on that single occasion.
- Persistent cookies: the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies according to the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
- Technical cookies: those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist in it, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, access parts of restricted access, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the process of purchasing an order, make a request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements while browsing, store content for dissemination of videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which to access the service, the regional configuration from where to access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: they allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used to measure the activity of the websites, application or platform and to create navigation profiles of the users of these sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the usage data made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: they store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display based on such behavior.
Deactivation and elimination of cookies
You have the option to allow, block or delete the cookies installed on your computer by configuring the browser options installed on your computer. By deactivating cookies, some of the available services may no longer be operational. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but it can usually be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also consult the Help menu of the browser where you can find instructions. The user may at any time choose which cookies he wants to work on this website.
You can allow, block or delete the cookies installed on your computer by configuring the browser options installed on your computer:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer o Microsoft Edge:
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html